Squad news


11 Aug 2014
Deportivo conquered its 18th Teresa Herrera in an equal game in which both sides had their chances to score. José Rodriguez was the best player and Fariña gave a new impulse to the team in the second half.

Coach Víctor Fernández presented seven changes compared to the team that won the first game. The main novelties were to see Isaac Cuenca debuting as a starter, Luis Fariña was starting on the bench and José Rodriguez was part of the team despite suffering an ankle injury the day before.

Fabricio was the keeper, Manuel Pablo covered the right-back position, Canella played on the left, Álex and Lopo were the centre-backs. Wilk joined José Rodriguez at midfield. Cuenca and Cavaleiro were the wingers, Juan Carlos was the playmaker and Borja Bastón was the centre forward.

At Sporting Gijón, coach Abelardo switched the draw into a 4-2-3-1. The defense was practically the same of the game against Sporting CP, while Nacho Cases appeared at midfield. Miguel Ángel Guerrero was the starting forward, while Álex Serrano and Álvaro Bustos were the other references up front.

Sporting Gijón demonstrated that it will be a tough team to beat in the Segunda season and gave a lot of problems to more paused Deportivo compared to the first match in the tournament. José Rodriguez was the motor of the Blanquiazul team, side that improved in the second half with the entry of Fariña.

Deportivo dominated the game since the kick-off, having the ball possession and pushing up front, though without creating scoring opportunities. José Rodriguez was controlling the traffic of the ball, while Sporting were waiting at the back trying to release counterattacks.

The first approximation for the Galicians came at minute 11, Manuel Pablo assisted Juan Carlos at the edge of the area, but the playmaker sent the ball wide. The first chance for Sporting was a direct free-kick by Guerrero that barely touched the wall and went out (17’).

Depor missed the fluidity of the first game, Juan Carlos was intermittent, Cavaleiro wasn’t showing the same mobility and Cuenca wasn’t a factor. With the passage of the minutes Sporting was increasingly looking more dangerous with their counterattacks and especially in set-pieces.

Cavaleiro and Cuenca were switching positions, but the only way to create danger were the improvised moves of the full-backs. At minute 25, Canella picked the ball at the left wing and, after eluding a rival, released a shot that went over the crossbar.

Then Víctor had to make an early change once again, this time Manuel Pablo was replaced by Laure.  The veteran defender picked a hamstring problem. The game was turning to be boring, but the best in the first half came within the final five minutes.

First, Depor were close to score as a long ball coming from midfield was met by Borja Bastón with keeper Cuéllar already beaten, but the drilling attempt of the Madrilenian striker was deflected by Iván Hernández (39’). An in the resulting corner-kick Depor found the goal as the cross of Juan Carlos was deflected by Álex Serrano into his own net. Sporting tried to react with a couple of free-kicks that didn’t cause any problem to Fabricio.

Sporting started better in the second half, pushing up front and with Bustos attempting a crossing shot from the edge of the area (46’). Meanwhile, Depor made the first three changes as Fariña, Insua and Luisinho replaced Cavaleiro, Lopo and Canella.

But Sporting continued to be the best team in the second half. At minute 53, Lora was close to score with a crossed shot from long distance. He missed the target. Two minutes later substitute Pablo Pérez incredibly missed the best chance for the Asturians, he picked a loose ball at the box, but his strong shot went wide with Fabricio already beaten.

The game tuned to be entertaining as Depor tried to surprise with a couple of chances for Fariña, the main one was a shot from the edge of the area that missed the target (55’). One minute later Nacho Cases completed the first shot on target for his team; it was a low shot that was blocked by Fabricio.

Lucas Pérez debuted with Deportivo replacing Cuenca. He performed on the right wing and spent more time on the ground after been tacked a couple of times. Then Juan Dominguez replaced Juan CarlosJosé Rodriguez continued to be the best man at Depor, with Fariña adding the missed width during the first half.

At minute 73, Pablo Pérez missed another great chance after a solo-play of Carlos Castro on the right corner of the box. Depor responded with a header of Fariña that missed the far post by inches (75’) and also with a cross of the Argentine playmaker that Wilk sent wide (76’). There were no scoring opportunities within the last ten minutes, just the injury of Luisinho, who had to be replaced by Iago López after sustaining a knock.

With the result, Deportivo conquered its 18th title in the Teresa Herrera tournament. Depor will now play the penultimate friendly game on the pre-season as it faces RC Celta on Wednesday (Pasarón stadium, 21h30 CET).

Deportivo: (4-2-3-1) Fabricio, Manuel Pablo (Laure 29’), Lopo (Insua 46’), Álex Bergantiños, Canella (Luisinho 46’) (Iago López 88’) - José Rodríguez, Wilk – Cuenca (Lucas Pérez 61’), Juan Carlos (Juan Dominguez 72’), Cavaleiro (Fariña 46’) – Borja Bastón
Sporting Gijón: (4-2-3-1) Cuéllar - Lora, Julio (Luis Hernández 61’), Ivan Hernández Álex Méndez (Pablo Pérez 46’) - Sergio Álvarez (Carlos Castro 61’), Nacho Cases - Jara, Serrano (Isma López 46’), Bustos (Šćepović 71’) – Guerrero (Barrera 61’).
Goal: 1-0: (40’) Álex Serrano (o.g.)
Referee: Carlos Velasco Carballo. He showed yellow card to Luisinho (81’) and Pablo Pérez (90+2’)
Venue: Riazor (15,000)



Related news


Related matches

10.08.2014: DLC vs. Sporting de Gijon

Back to Competition news