Transfer news

THE LAST THREE SIGNINGS

20 Aug 2014
Deportivo have one and a half weeks to complete three signings; Víctor Fernández confirmed that he hopes to close the squad with two centre-backs and one striker. The club expects to get the needed reinforcements directly from the big teams.

The club’s officials have passed from been talking of imminent signings to assure that Depor are ready to wait for the last day in the market (August 31) to complete the squad for the Primera season 2014/15. During the weekend coach Víctor Fernández said during an interview at newspaper La Opinión A Coruña that he wants two centre-backs and one striker.

After the meeting against SD Ponferradina, one of the sporting directors, Ernesto Bello, was interviewed by TVG and he said that Depor are waiting to see if they can get ruled players from the big teams, "The squads aren’t closed until the last day. Anything related to strengthen the squad will be attempted until the last day. One week is left to begin the liga and two for the deadline and you should know that this isn’t a matter of doing it quickly, but of doing the right things. We must wait for dismissed players and let's see if we are lucky."

It’s a change of speech compared to what was said previously, because the coach and the club’s officials were assuring that Deportivo were trying to close the squad as soon as possible and Víctor Fernández even said one month ago that he would only wait twenty days to get two important reinforcements.

Right now all the attention is focused in striker Konstantinos Mitroglou (26, Fulham FC). The club made an initial approach and failed, then the possible signing of centre midfielder Bruno Zuculini was again possible and there were big doubts at the club as it was impossible to sign both players due to the financial limitations.

In the end Zuculini chose to play for Valencia CF and Deportivo made a second approach for Mitroglou. It’s expected a meeting today trying to close his arrival, though the operation is complicated as other clubs are interested in the Greek striker and also for the financial demands of Fulham FC.

In this specific case Depor are not willing to wait until the last day, as Bello told to TVG, "He's an attractive player for the major part of teams, not only Spanish, but even for the ones playing Champions. We hope to successfully end the operation, but aren’t stuck only on that, because we cannot be waiting and later see that it has failed.”

Bello also mentioned that, despite the interest in Mitroglou, the club isn’t only focused in his arrival; instead it is exploring other alternatives that could even turn to be a first option for the club. For now the other name of a striker linked with Deportivo is Kike Sola (26, Athletic Bilbao), who won’t have minutes with his team on this season, just as it happened on the past Primera tournament.

About the centre-backs, the club is still waiting for Henrique Sereno (29), the Portuguese is still trying to rescind his contract with Turkish outfit Kayserispor and Víctor Fernández said on last week that this operation was going to last some days.  Meanwhile Radio Galega reported the interest in Brazilian Ewerton José Almeida (25, Anzhi).

The other centre-back is expected to be a player that will be ruled out by a big team. The club is exploring the possibility to get centre-backs that don’t count for the coaches at clubs like Atlético Madrid and Manchester City FC. One of the options that the club was chasing was Tiago Ilori (21); Depor opened negotiations with Liverpool FC, but in the end the player chose to join FC Girondins de Bordeaux.

ARCHIVE NEWS AUG/14

ZAPPING


Back to Transfer news