Competition news


11 Feb 2018
Poor game for a Fabril that could end the matchday outside of the promotion zone. Munúa ended with four attackers on the pitch, but his team only completed one shot on target.

Coach Gustavo Munúa was having the casualties of Ismael Díaz, Bicho, Romay and Luismi due to injury reasons. Óscar García was once again starting a game at the bench. Juvenil A Sergio Ortuño was also on the bench.

The lineup was a 4-2-3-1 figure with Álex Cobo covering the goal, Blas Alonso performed at the right-back position, Steve One and Quique Fornos were the centre-backs, Diego Caballo performed at the left flank. Edu Expósito and Álvaro Queijeiro were the centre midfielders, Borja Galán attacked from the right wing. Jardel did it from the left, Martín Bengoa was the playmaker and Uxío Dapena was the centre forward.

Coruxo FC was at the edge of relegation after only winning one of the previous eight meetings. Coach Rafa Sáez was missing midfielder Mateo Míguez due to suspension, while ex-Fabril Juanpa Barros was back from an injury. Diego Silva was the main reference in attack, he had scored nine goals before this game.

It was an important game as Fabril needed the points to avoid the scenario of been dropped from the promotion seats, and it turned to be one of the worst games on the season for the lads. The rival had big lagoons at midfield, but it was never transformed into scoring opportunities.

Fabril tried to have the initiative since the start. Depor’s lads were moving forward through long passes searching for Edu Expósito, they were finding the crack at midfield, but later were unable to enter the area. The locals started putting a high pressure, but their effort faded away with the passage of the minutes.

After not having opportunities within the first 20 minutes, the locals started to push. The first big chance to score came at minute 24, Andre Österholm missed to connect the ball in a drilling cross from the left, in the next play the Swedish attacker was the one releasing the cross and Steve One deflected the ball before it reached the path of Higón.

And Coruxo FC scored in the resulting corner-kick. There were two headers after the high cross from the left, Pazó sent the ball into the near post and Borja Yebra was there to just push the ball in. There was no reaction from Fabril in the following minutes and Pazó was close to score again in a free-kick play in which Álex Cobo made the save (29’).

The only scoring chance for Fabril in the half came in the stoppage time, Blas Alonso released a low cross from the right and Edu Expósito connected the ball inside the box, but he missed the target (45+2’).

The second half started with a Fabril that was trying to push up front, it was unable to earn a couple of lateral free-kick, but without consequences.  Jardel had the first chance for the visiting side, he was a bout to head a cross from the right, but a defender cleared the danger (53’).

At minute 58, Pazó was close to score an own goal as he tried to clear a ball, but his header just went close to the crossbar. Fabril made a step forward, but t wasn’t enough to complete shots on target. So, Munúa made changes and Óscar and Luis Fernández replaced Uxío and Martín Bengoa.

One minute later Fabril completed its first -and only- shot on target in the game, it was a direct free-kick in which the curved shot by Luis was blocked by local goalie Alberto Domínguez. Antón had a big chance to score at minute 73, he dribbled two rivals at the edge of the area and his volley missed the target.

Sergio Ortuño was the last substitution as he replaced Caballo, Fabril ended the game with four attackers and a playmaker on the field, but it was unable to create opportunities before a tired rival. Actually, the home side seemed closer to score through a couple of counterattacks.

A thick Fabril were unable to pick anything from a rival in need. The lads only completed one shot on target and deserved to lose before a rival with more passion. The team could end out of the relegation spots depending on Sunday’s games. The next game is the visit of Sd Ponferradina to Abegondo (Sunday, 12h00 CET).

Comments by Munúa: “It was a game in which we never found the way. We were confused. We never interpreted the secondary plays and we were locked in an uncomfortable situation that we couldn’t revert. The game changed after the goal and we didn’t adapt, it was a pity for the way we interpreted the game.”

Coruxo: (4-2-3-1) Alberto – Rafa Mella, Pablo García, Pazó, Mario Ramón - Borja Yebra, Antón – Higón, Álex Arias (Fernando Beltrán 11’) (Juanito 87’), André (Pablo Crespo 83’) - Diego Silva.
Fabril: (4-2-3-1) Álex Cobo – Blas, Fornos, One, Caballo (Ortuño 79’) – Queijeiro, Edu Expósito – Jardel, Martín Bengoa (Luis Fernández 63’), Borja Galán – Uxío (Óscar 63’).
Goal: 1-0: (26’) Borja Yebra
Referee: Carlos Pérez Fernández. He showed yellow card to Alex Arias (11’), Borja Galán (45’), Pazó (47’), Diego Silva (48’), Jardel (66’) & Fornos (72’)
Venue: O Vao





Back to Competition news