Competition news


10 Nov 2020
First defeat for Valerón. It was a painful outcome as the team made the effort only to end losing at the last minute.

Since neither Adri Castro nor Juan Rodríguez played with the first team during the home game with Coruxo FC, coach Valerón used both players in this match. There were a couple of novelties at the starting 4-2-3-1 figure, one of them was the presence of Álex Barba at midfield.

Pablo Brea was the starting keeper, Iván Guerrero covered the right side on defence, the left was for Álex Boedo, David Suárez joined Juan Rodriguez at the centre of the defence. Barba and Diego Villares were the midfielders, Javi Sánchez attacked from the right wing, Rayco did it from the left, Jorge Sarmiento was the playmaker and Adri Castro was the centre forward.

The game turned to be the first defeat for Juan Carlos Valerón. Fabril have been a solid defence and had only conceded a goal before this meeting, and what failed in this game was the fact of not having the ideas to break the rival’s defence and a cool mind to extend the possessions.

Fabril had the control of the ball since the kick-off; the locals pushed in attack, mainly attacking on the right wing of Javi Sánchez, but the only thing they got within the first fifteen minutes was to earn three corner-kicks. 

The first approximation of CSD Arzúa was a lateral free-kick of Vivito that didn’t meet a receiver inside the area (21’). Fabril’s were having long ball possessions, but later the chances weren’t arriving due to the lack of precision at the moment of giving passes at the edge of the area.

The game turned to be boring for the final fifteen minutes, Valerón’s lads were the ones having the ball and the initiative, but the opportunities weren’t arriving.  Javi Sánchez was the most active player for the locals, while Juan Rodriguez was solid in defence cutting the few arrivals from the visiting team. The best chance for Fabril in this half was corner-kick in which Rayco sent the ball out after two blocked shots, there was also a possible penalty over him (42’).

The second half was following the same path, a Fabril that had the ball and that wasn’t creating any harm. Then Valerón switched the system as Manu Mosquera and Javi Sanmartín replaced Álex Barba and Sarmiento, so Depor were playing with a 4-4-2.

It didn’t help to unclog the fluidity of the game. At minute 65, Javi Sanmartín drilled a pass into the path of Javi Sánchez, who scored from close range, but he was offside (66’).  The best chance for Fabril in the game came at minute 71, it was a header of Manu Mosquera that was saved by the keeper.

Víctor Guedes entered for Rayco Rodríguez as Fabril sought for the inspiration that wasn’t arriving, then Juan Cambón replaced Javi Sánchez as Valerón was desperate. It seemed the game was going to end goalless, but then CSD Arzúa surprised in a counterattack. Alberto Blanco released a high cross from the left that was headed at the far post by Manu Casal.

Fabril tried to respond, but the header of Cambón went out (90+2’). This is the first defeat with Valerón on board. Fabril have shown a strong defence and this is only the second goal conceded on this season, but in this game the defeat came after the team was unable to find the road to break the rival’s defence.

Fabril: (4-2-3-1) Pablo Brea – Iván Guerrero, David Suárez, Juan Rodríguez, Boedo – Álex Barba (Javi Sanmartín 61’), Villares – Javi Sánchez (Juan Cambón 83’), Sarmineto (Manu Mosquera 61’), Rayco (Guedes 79’) – Adri Castro
Arzua: (4-4-2) Marqueta – Dani Blanco, Queiruga, Tome, Álex Vázquez – Pedreira, Vivito, Marcos García (Alberto Blanco 54’), Lodeiro (Manu Casal 75’) – Iker Hurtado (Brais Prieto 89’), Borja Miguez (Iván García 75’).
Goal: 0-1: (90’) Casal
Referee: Casanova Cudeiro. He showed yellow card to Victor Guedes (87’).
Venue: Abegondo






Back to Competition news