Competition news


08 Oct 2013
Disappointing draw for one of the favourite teams for the promotion spots, especially after coach Devesa had his best players available for the meeting. In the end Depor B suffered a lot and scored the equalizer in the last stretch of the match.

For the first time on the season coach José Luis Devesa was having his best men available for a league match. Paulo Teles debuted on Saturday at Segunda, but was picked for this clash and was even a starter. Meanwhile Bicho played for the first time on the season with the B squad. Besides, left-back Aarón Rama was returning from an injury. So, the only players out were centre-backs Uxío Marcos (nose), Róber (suspension), plus striker Chiño and playmaker Álvaro Queijeiro (both muscle injury).

The starting lineup was a 4-2-3-1 formation; David Gómez was defending the goal, Toni Insua, a centre-back from Juvenil A, was the surprise at the squad as he debuted with the B team playing at the right side of the defense, Aarón performed on the left, Serbian Stefan Deák and Enrique Fornos were the centre-backs, Sidibé and Teles were the centre midfielders, Cañi played on the right wing, Romay was the playmaker, Bicho attacked from the left flank and Dani Iglesias was the central attacker.

The rival was A Coruña-based club Betanzos CF, the team coached by José Manuel Pose had a slow start in the league and was still searching to gain some positions. Ex-Depor Sergio Cardelle was a starter at the team. The main reference in attack was striker Eloy Díaz.

Deportivo B are still trying to find its place at Tercera División. The Depor’s youngsters aren’t showing the same offensive potential that led them to the last round of the playoffs during the past season. In this opportunity they were surprised by a rival that went out with intensity and that dominated the actions in the major part of the game.

And it’s that Fabril left the feeling of being a the mercy of Betanzos during big part of the first half; just fourteen minutes after the kick-off the locals scored their goal. A shot of Cristóbal was deflected by Deák at the penalty spot, the resulting high ball was found by Manuel Piquer, who connected the ball in an acrobatic position to release a high volley that went into the top-left corner of David Gómez.

The goal didn’t change the script of the first minutes as Betanzos was the team that dominated, though the visitors had two chances to score the equalizer. Both in the boots of Dani Iglesias, but in the first chance the striker missed the target and in the second the ball was stopped by local goalie Manuel Leis.

Much more was expected from an offensive line composed by players that train with the first team of Fernando Vázquez and that have even debuted on this season at Segunda División, but Fabril missed more ideas and accuracy with the passes. The locals missed two great chances to score the second goal, in the first the shot from midfield of Cristóbal was cleared by David Gómez and later the cross of Marcos didn’t find a receiver inside the area.

The second half was more balanced though Fabril continued to miss the needed accuracy in attack, on this half the visiting team had more opportunities to score, but Teles, Dani Iglesias and Romay didn’t capitalize the three chances.

And it was until minutte71 that Depor B were able to break the deadlock; Cañi drilled the ball into the area, Romay collected the pass and dribbled a rival, his drilling attempt was rejected by the keeper, but the playmaker collected the rebound and later just drilled the ball into the box, and Bicho was there to just push the ball in.

Devesa moved the bench for the final twenty minutes searching for the victory, Ángel Fernandez, a former player of Betanzos, entered and replaced Fornos, a move that pulled Sidibé to the centre of the defense, the idea was to have a more combinative couple at midfield as Ángel joined Teles and later there was a double change to refresh the attacking zone as Marcos Remeseiro and Óscar García replaced Cañi and Dani Iglesias.

But the side that was closer to score was Betanzos, actually there was a controversial play at the last minute that extended the match in five minutes. Deák committed a clear penalty over Alberto Fuentes, but referee García Rodríguez didn’t want to whistle the penalty and there was a huge fight that provoked the expulsion of coach José Manuel Pose and his assistant.

Third straight draw for Deportivo B in the Tercera tournament; Devesa had the major part of his players available for the meeting, but the team still without showing the same offensive potential of the past season. The result leaves the team 7th at the standings, only point below the promotion zone and already five points under surprising leader Arosa SC. On next Sunday the team returns to Abegondo in order to host Alondras CF, one of the disappointments on the season that’s currently living inside the drop zone (17h30 CET).

Betanzos: (4-2-3-1) Manu - Romy, Pablo Vigo, Cardelle, César - Róber, Bascoy (Sergio. 52’), Manu Piquer (Gigirey 65’), Marcos, Cristóbal  - Eloy (Alberto 85’).
Deportivo B: (4-2-3-1) David Gómez – Toni Insua, Quique Fornos (Ángel Fernández. 72’), Stefan Deák, Aarón - Sidibé, Teles - Cañi (Marcos Remeseiro 81’), Romay, Bicho - Dani Iglesias (Óscar García 81’)
Goals: 1-0: (14’) Manuel Piquer, 1-1: (71’) Bicho
Referee:  García Rodríguez. He showed yellow card to Manu, Cardelle, César and Marcos
Venue: García Irmáns (500)




Back to Competition news