Transfer news

JONATHAN RODRIGUEZ JOINS DEPOR

21 Aug 2015
The wished striker for Deportivo has turned to be Jonathan Rodríguez, one of the most talented promises in Uruguay. He’s coming loaned from SL Benfica after a long negotiation that lasted a month.

22-year-old Jonathan Rodríguez is the striker that coach Víctor Sánchez del Amo was expecting in order to complete the striking zone. Within the last two weeks it was commented that Depor were targeting the signing of a high-profile attacker; actually on this week president Tino Fernández told to reporters that instead of trying to rescind the contract of Luisinho the club was going to use the available money in getting the striker.

Depor have been negotiating for the player since July and this option seemed impossible as other clubs like Club Brugge were pushing for the striker. But everything was sorted on this week after the Portuguese outfit hired Raúl Jiménez from Atlético Madrid. So, Deportivo and SL Benfica arranged a loan deal lasting one year. The player will undergo the medicals today, but won’t be picked for Saturday’s debut against Real Sociedad.

The main advantage of Depor in this negotiation was that Iván Cavaleiro followed the same path on last season and on this summer he was a big sale for The Eagles. Jonathan is considered a future star in Uruguay, he was part of the team that played the last Copa América and is part of the roster for the friendlies against Panama and Costa Rica to be played in September.

On January Rodríguez joined SL Benfica on a loan deal for one and a half years coming from Peñarol, it was a complex deal in which Benfica paid €2 million for 40% of the player’s economic rights, with the remaining 60% totaling €4.4 million, so the current operation with Depor was also approved by the Uruguayan side. Curiously what pushed Benfica to loan the player was the arrival of strikers Raúl Jiménez and Konstantinos Mitroglou, the latter was the wish Depor on last season.

Deportivo have now made twelve signings ahead of the season 2015/16, before the Galician club made other eleven incorporations: left-backs Saúl García and Fernando Navarro, right-back Juanfran Moreno, centre-backs Alejandro Arribas and Sidnei, centre midfielder Pedro Mosquera, playmakers Luis Alberto, Cani, Faycal Fajr and Lucas, plus striker Oriol Riera. The club also completed the renewals of centre midfielder Juan Dominguez and right-back Manuel Pablo. 

ARCHIVE NEWS AUG/15

ZAPPING

 


Back to Transfer news