Competition news


05 Sep 2017
Great reaction from Fabril, Borja Galán had four clear chances in the first part, in the second Romay entered the pitch and tied a game that could have been 2-0 at that point.

Coach Cristobal Parralo made several changes at the lineup compared to the team that lost before Sanse. Queijeiro, Lucas Viña and Fornos were benched. New arrival Luis Fernández was out as he is injured, while Bicho was on the bench.

The lineup was a 4-2-3-1 with Álex Cobo covering the goal, Blas Alonso performed at the right-back position, Steve One and Raúl González were the centre-backs, Diego Caballo performed on the left. Edu Expósito and Carlos López were the centre midfielders, Óscar García attacked from the right wing. Martin Bengoa was the playmaker, Borja Galán performed on the left wing and Uxio Dapena was the centre forward.

Racing Ferrol arrived to the meeting with the important casualty of striker Joselu, while last signing Mikel Fernández was on the bench. Ex-Depor goalkeeper Ian Mackay was a starter with Pablo Rey and Sergio Mendiguchía ‘Mendi’ been the references up front.

Disputed and entertaining game at A Malata between two sides that didn’t deserve to lose, Fabril had more fluency in the first part and had some important chances, but it was in the second half when it found the goal after the modifications. 

Explosive game at the start, in less than three minutes there were three clear chances. First, Pablo Rey released a cross that was blocked by Alex Cobo, then Fabril had a double chance, first a combination between Óscar, Caballo and Uxío ended with a blocked shot and secondly a counterattack left Uxío alone in front of Mackay, but a defender came from behind and cleared the ball to corner-kick.

And the locals were going to strike first on the scoresheet, first Pablo Rey headed the ball out after a cross from the left, three minutes later they scored the first goal in the game. Steve One committed a defensive error that cost a corner-kick, in the resulting cross Mendi headed the ball downwards between three defenders and into the net.
Initially, Fabril didn’t react properly after the goal and Racing Ferrol started to dominate the actions, at minute 11 Álex Cobo made a save before a new header in a corner-kick, this time by Armental. The visiting side had the next chance with a header of Borja Galán in a corner-kick that went out.

Little by little Fabril started to grow up in the game, at minute 18, a good counterattack ended with a drilling shot by Borja Galán that passed close to the far post. Two minutes later the action was repeated with the same result.

Borja Galán had his fourth chance before the 30-minute-mark after a long pass from Uxío, this time Mackay cleared the danger (27’).  Fabril seemed close to tie the game, but Racing Ferrol also seemed dangerous, mainly for the imprecisions of Steve One, a second distraction by him almost cost a goal as Cobo had to clear the ball outside the area hitting Raúl González in a rebound that missed the target (28’).

If Borja Galán was making a great first half, it was the opposite for Óscar García, the winger seemed disconnected as he was always making the wrong choices at the moment of ending the attacks.  The half ended with a big chance for the locals, Pablo Rey collected a drilling ball inside the area, but his shot was saved by Cobo (44’).

The script was the same for the second part, because both teams sought the opposite goal since the kick-off. Óscar continued making bad decisions, while Borja Galán was leading the visiting attacks. At minute 51, Uxío collected a volley inside the box, but a defender cleared the ball before he was able to connect the all.

Romay replaced Martin Bengoa and the game became a little violent for a serious of tough tackles that provoked delays in the game. Then Bicho replaced Raúl González in the second substitution for Fabril.

Despite the changes, Depor lacked the fluidity of the first part and wasn’t creating scoring chances. Instead, Racing Ferrol should have scored the second goal in a one-on-one action of Pablo Rey, he scored, but it was disallowed due to an inexistent offside. And in the next play Fabril tied the game, Bicho provoked a corner-kick and in the resulting cross Romay found the loose ball at the box to score the equalizer.

Fabril had more control over the game after the equalizer, and Romay was key for this with his vision to distribute the game and release the counterattack. A third change was made and Fornos replaced Borja Galán as Parralo attempted to protect the result.  Fabril had the last chance to win the meeting, but Uxío just hit the net by the outside after a good pass by Óscar (84’).

Another good performance of the team playing outside home, again Depor’s lads reached half-time trailing and again a good reaction allowed to rescue the result. Borja Galán was the best player in the first part and Romay was the best man in the second. The next game is the home clash with Real Madrid Castilla.

Racing Ferrol: (4-3-3) Mackay – Pascual (Aldalur 46’), Maceira, Víctor Vázquez, Trigo – Gonzalo, Armental, Beitia - Pablo Rey (Mera 81’), Sota, Mendi (Armental 75’)
Fabril: (4-2-3-1) Álex Cobo - Blas, One, Raúl González (Bicho 72’), Caballo – Edu Expósito, Carlos López – Óscar, Martín Bengoa (Romay 63’), Borja Galán (Fornos 78’) – Uxío.
Goals: 1-0: (8’) Mendi, 1-1: (78’) Romay
Referee: Diego Valdés Diaz. He showed yellow card to Gonzalo (28’), Pascual (36’), Aldalur (53’), Maceira (51’), Borja Galán (62’), Edu Expósito (68’), Uxío (82’), Fornos (90’) & Blas Alonso (90+2’)
Venue: A Malata (1,000)




Back to Competition news