Competition news


27 May 2018
Fabril eliminated from the playoffs due the away goal rule. First, the game at Abegondo was full of fouls, both sides ended with ten men and later the game was dramatic as it was defined in the extra-time.

The returning leg in the promotion playoff to Segunda A. Fabril needed a 1-0 win to pass the round, while a 2-1 would push the game to extra-time. Coach Gustavo Munúa was welcoming back Óscar García, but at the same time was losing Francis Uzoho as he was picked by Nigeria ahead of the World Cup, Jorge Romay was out due to a shoulder injury. The other players out injured were Lucas Viña and Carlos López.

The lineup was a 4-4-2 figure with Álex Cobo covering the goal, Blas Alonso performed at the right-back position, Raúl González and Steve One were the centre-backs, Diego Caballo performed at the left side. Gaizka Martínez and Álvaro Queijeiro were the centre midfielders, Bicho attacked from the right wing. Borja Galán did it from the left, then Luis Fernández and Uxio Dapena were the centre forwards.

At Extremadura UD, coach Juan Sabas was only making two changes to the starting eleven of the first-leg. Fran Miranda was a starter at midfield and Enric Gallego continued to be the main reference in attack.

The game was rude, mainly for the tough fouls by Extremadura UD. The referee lost control at the start and showed a lot of cards, Fabril managed to extend the tie to extra-time and caressed the next round, but a late goal ended the season of Depor’s lads.

Fabril had the first approximation with a long-range shot of Queijeiro that that went over the crossbar (1’), but Extremadura UD were going to hit first. A counterattack for the visiting side ended with Carlos Valverde assisting Zarfinho, who scored with a volley from the edge of the area.

In the next play Queijeiro got injured defending a rival, it was a shoulder problem and he had to be stretched off. He was replaced by Edu Expósito. Fabril was in problems, now it needed two goals to tie the series and already had to make a change.

But Fabril reacted and quickly scored the equalizer. A free-kick at midfield ended with a high volley into the far post, Raúl González headed the ball there, it went into the path of Uxío Dapena, who headed the ball in.

The locals started to dominate the game and the second goal arrived soon. Caballo released a low cross from the left and into the area, Luis collected the ball when he was backwards the goal and quickly assisted Edu Expósito, who scored with a precise curved shot into the bottom corner of visiting goalie Manu García.

Then the game had several interruptions due the fouls, four yellow cards were shown with only 25 minutes on and Fabril lost pace; especially, after Luis was sent off with two yellow cards. One for cutting a counterattack and the second for elbowing a rival in an aerial duel. Thus, Fabril had to play with one less men for an hour.

Extremadura UD gave a step forward and Enric Gallego was close to score with a strong shot saved by Álex Cobo (33’). Despite the numeric advantage Fabril looked better within the final five minutes in the first part, but without creating a clear opportunity.

The second part started in the same way, because the fouls were there again and the first yellow card was shown with only 40 seconds in the clock. Extremadura UD had the ball in the first minutes and Fabril were locked at the back without suffering too much.

Then Extremadura UD were reduced to ten men too. The visiting side didn’t want to throw the ball out after Blas got injured and ended losing the ball at midfield, Pardo committed a foul in order to cut the counterattack and was booked for the second time. Until this point Fabril had to play with one less player for 30 minutes.

Fabril got an impulse with the new scenario and Borja Galán was close to score with a strong shot deflected by Manu García (60’). At minute 71, Enric Gallego scored, but he was offside and also pushed a rival before picking the ball for a second time.

The second substitution at Fabril was the entry of Óscar García for Bicho, who was tired and having muscle problems.  Jairo was close to score with a strong shot deflected by Cobo (82’). The last chance was for Uxió, who collected a long pass from the defence, but couldn’t resolve the one-on-one action with Manu García (88’).

The extra-time started with Extremadura protesting a penalty, Kike Márquez collected a cross from the right and his shot hit Raúl González, but his arm was attached to the body (91’). The last substitution at Fabril was the entry of Carlos López for Gaizka Martínez and just seconds later he scored.

Uxío got the ball at the left corner of the area, he assisted Carlos López, who scored with a strong shot from long distance. Extremadura tried to push, more with the heart than with the head and weren’t creating problems to Fabril. Their best chance in the first half of the extra-time was a low shot of substitute Barrera saved by Álex Cobo (102’).

Borja Galánhad hamstring problems, but he stayed on the pitch as there were no more substitutions. He was the centre forward since this point and Uxío was helping at midfield. The second-half in the extra-time started with the goal from Extremadura UD.

A lateral free-kick ended with a cross that Álex Cobo should have collected, but the ball escaped from his hands and Álex Barrera scored after collecting a short pass at the goal line. Fabril were now needing one goal and there was no more strength to search for it, but the lads tried. Their only chance within the final ten minutes was a direct free-kick of Caballo that went out close to the crossbar (113’).

The aggregate score was 4-4 and Fabril was eliminated by the away goal rule. This result is ending the best season ever for Depor’s lads, who will continue at Segunda B for the campaign 2018/19. Extremadura UD advance to the second round.

Comment from Munúa: “Obviously, we have loved to pass, but the changing room is with the head high, proud for the things done this year, it has been a wonderful season, a year of hope. Today it was seen on the pitch, a delivered team, with an impressive attitude. But in life sometimes you have to lose. I am proud for coaching these lads. They are highly committed and their season must be highlighted. It's part of the club's history now."

Fabril: (4-4-2) Álex Cobo – Blas, Steve One, Raúl González, Caballo – Bicho (Óscar García 74’), Gaizka Martínez (Carlos López 93’), Queijeiro (Edu Expósito 11’), Borja Galán – Luis Fernández, Uxío
Extremadura: (4-2-3-1) Manu García - Álex Díez, Pardo, Belmonte, Aitor – Fran Miranda (Álex Barrera 46’), Zarfino – Jairo (Cabrera 94’), Kike Márquez, Carlos Valverde (Candelas 59’) - Enric Gallego.
Goals: 0-1: (4’) Zarfinho, 1-1: (11’) Uxío, 2-1: (21’) Edu Expósito, 3-1: (93’) Carlos López, 3-2: (106’) Barrera
Referee: Alfonso Vicente Moral. He showed yellow card to Borja Galán (24’), Kike Márquez (25’), Fornos (32’), Belmonte (46’) & Blas Alonso (86’). Luis was sent off with two yellow cards (15’ & 31’) Pardo was also sent off with two yellow cards (17’ & 57’).
Venue: Abegondo (1,000)




Back to Competition news